Lawns require special care based on your region’s climate. This post will tell you the best time to water, when to mow and fertilize, along with watering frequencies based on temperature.
If you live in the Southwest region of Idaho, and want to ensure that you are caring for and watering your lawn appropriately, follow the these lawn care guidelines:
When to mow the lawn
- Your first mowing should be cut short (1.5 – 2 inches high).
- This will help eliminate most of your dormant or dead grass.
- Your last mowing in the fall should also be cut short.
When to fertilize the lawn
- Grass should be fertilized at least twice a year. For best results, fertilize 4 or 5 times a year.
- Idaho has a cooler climate, so it’s best to fertilize when the grass is actively growing. Applying fertilizer when the lawn is dormant is a waste and only encourages weeds.
Best times to water lawn
For optimum performance throughout the spring, summer and fall, adhere to the following watering guidelines:
The best watering times are between 4:00 am to 12:01 pm
- 60 – 70 air temperature: Water 1/2 inch, twice per week.
- 70 – 80 air temperature: Water 1/2 inch, three times a week.
- 80 – 90 air temperature: Water 1/2 inch, every day
- 90 plus air temperature: Water 1/2 inch every day and also for 15 minutes each day during the hottest time of the day (this is not a good idea for water conservation however it is an excellent idea for protecting your grass).
These are general, your yard’s needs may vary based on your soil type and accompanying vegetation. Individual results may vary.
This climate is more suitable for Kentucky Blue Grass, so these guidelines are more geared for that grass variety. If you’ve chosen a different variety, your yard may require adjustments to mowing, fertilizing and watering frequencies. Follow the guidelines that can be found on your grass seed’s package label.
Incoming search terms:
- how much water to water lawn boise
- how often should I be watering my lawn in boise idaho?
- how many minutes water lawn southern idaho
- lawn sprinkler run times boise idaho
- water needs for grass in idaho
- when to fertleize lawn in idaho